Latest news in enterprise data protection and governance
Druva Delivers Market’s First Endpoint eDiscovery Enablement Solution with inSync Upgrade
Druva today announced the market’s first eDiscovery enablement solution for data stored on enterprise endpoints with an upgrade to its inSync endpoint data protection and governance platform. Leveraging the platform’s integrated repository of endpoint backup and file sharing activities, inSync now simplifies eDiscovery by enabling organizations to identify endpoint content and custodians across all corporate and employee-owned devices, capture and place legal holds on relevant data, and support ingestion into eDiscovery systems for processing, review and analysis.
The new functionality dramatically reduces eDiscovery costs, which are expected to surge from $5.5 billion in 2013 to $9.8 billion by 2017. It also extends inSync’s governance and compliance capabilities by complementing the platform’s ability to track the location and movement of all endpoint data across devices and users through a central repository.
"Today's workforce mobility and computing habits place a difficult burden on enterprises in terms of securing, locating and accessing endpoint data distributed across thousands of end user devices. These challenges undermine litigation preparedness because of the absence of a unified record of endpoint data and clear audit trails, which in turn make it extremely costly to identify and capture the data for eDiscovery," said Jaspreet Singh, CEO of Druva. "inSync's data governance enhancements streamline the process by using the platform's core endpoint data capture and traceability functions as well as by providing specific tools for rapid response to legal requests."
"According to ESG research, 'Improving Data Backup' and 'Regulatory Compliance' are both among the top investments planned by IT decision makers in 2014, but not everyone understands how much important data is on endpoints instead of servers," said Jason Buffington, Data Protection Analyst at Enterprise Strategy Group (ESG). "Governance features like compliance and eDiscovery need to be an integral part of the endpoint data protection strategy. Being able to deploy these functions within an integrated system simplifies the IT infrastructure, lowers IT administration costs, and expedites compliance and discovery processes."
Key eDiscovery controls now available as part of inSync’s governance module include:
- Federated search – inSync can now identify the location of litigation-related files, including all file versions, deleted files, and those belonging to former employees.
- Legal holds – IT can now quickly respond to legal department inquiries by placing legal holds on collected data, suspending retention policies, and preserving the content in place until it can be reviewed.
- eDiscovery system ingestion – When held data is ready for transfer into an eDiscovery system, inSync allows the legal administrator to review and expose the data for ingestion.
- Legal administrator role support – Specialized access and privileges allow legal departments to place, review and remove legal holds.
Other enhancements in the latest version of inSync include:
- High performance 'CloudCache' backup, restore, device refreshes and legal holds for large data volume, cloud-based deployments, utilizing an on-site server to send data to the cloud service on a regular schedule in order to reduce impact on enterprise WAN bandwidth.
- File sharing support for groups and teams, including use of a persistent alias for easy sharing among all members as well as a dedicated shared folder for each group’s file repository and sharing needs. This enhances inSync's IT-managed file sharing for individual users.
- Wizard-based device refresh and OS migration for end users, simplifying self-serve data restore to new devices, operating systems and platforms. This saves hours of IT overhead by enabling users to repopulate their files simply by logging onto their device.
More information is available at www.druva.com/solutions/ediscovery-solutions/.
Druva provides integrated data protection and governance solutions for enterprise laptops, PCs, smartphones and tablets. Its flagship product, inSync, empowers an enterprise's mobile workforce and IT teams with backup, IT-managed file sharing, data loss prevention, and rich analytics. Deployed in public or private cloud scenarios or on-premise, inSync is the only solution built with both IT needs and end-user experiences in mind. With offices in the U.S., India and United Kingdom, Druva is privately held and is backed by Nexus Venture Partners, Sequoia Capital and Tenaya Capital. For more information, visit www.druva.com.